BNP Paribas has been present in Poland for almost a century.
Société Générale de Banque (later BNP Paribas Fortis) launched its operations in Poland in 1919, when it co-financed industrial investment projects. In the years 1929-1930, Société Générale de Banque granted loans to Państwowy Bank Rolny (later BGŻ). In 1920, Banque de Paris et des Pays-Bas (Paribas) started to operate in Poland, where it financed e.g. electrification of the railway network.
In 1990, a representative office of Banque Nationale de Paris was opened in Warsaw and in 1994, BNP-Dresdner Bank (Polska) SA obtained a banking license as a joint venture of BNP Paribas and Dresdner Bank AG. Since June 2001, the bank began to operate as an independent company, wholly owned by BNP Paribas, and changed its name to BNP Paribas Bank Polska. In January 2006, it was transformed into a branch of BNP Paribas.
BNP Paribas SA Branch in Poland cooperates with international corporations and largest companies and institutions in Poland in the area of investment banking. The Branch is part of the Corporate and Institutional Banking business line (CIB), which provides solutions for financing, risk management and advisory services. In Europe, it is a leader in financing corporations and in the Cash Management area.
Through its specialised subsidiaries, the BNP Paribas Group provides also other services, including custody services, insurance, leasing and fleet management. In May 2009, the BNP Paribas Group was joined by Fortis Bank under the name of BNP Paribas Fortis. In May 2011, the bank was renamed into BNP Paribas Bank Polska.
In December 2013 BNP Paribas Group and Rabobank have reached an agreement on the purchase of Bank BGZ by BNP Paribas Group. On 15 July 2014 the European Commission has approved under the EU Merger Regulation the acquisition of Bank BGZ by BNP Paribas Fortis SA/NV. Then BNP Paribas Group received an approval from the Polish Financial Supervision Authority (KNF) for taking over a control package of shares in Bank BGŻ. In this way, Bank BGZ joined the BNP Paribas Group.
On 30 April 2015, following the relevant entry in the National Court Register, the merger of BNP Paribas Bank Polska S.A. with Bank BGŻ S.A. was finalised. From that day forward, the bank is operating under new name: Bank BGŻ BNP Paribas.